Trend Micro: Securing Your Connected World
Trend Micro, the world’s largest independent security software company, strives to make the world a safer place by protecting digital information. Our solutions for consumers, businesses and governments provide layered security to protect information on mobile devices, endpoints, gateways, servers and the cloud. Trend Micro enables the smart protection of information, with innovative technology that is simple to deploy and manage, and security that fits an evolving ecosystem. Our solutions are supported by over 5000 employees in over 50 countries and powered by the world’s most advanced cloud-based global threat intelligence, the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™.
Location: Ottawa, ON or US-Remote
Discover Trend … Since 1988, Trend Micro has been an internet security pioneer tackling an expanding threat landscape. When you join Trend, you join a unique global family with more than 25 years of history, marked by an entrepreneurial spirit and vision that has assured our products are always on the cutting edge in a very competitive field. Here in Ottawa, the company has a growing office, a great culture and a willingness to give back to our community.
Your role: At Trend we are continuing to integrate multiple data sources into searchable repositories to help combat cybersecurity threats at all levels. Your job at Trend will be focused on building advanced and innovative detection mechanisms for attacker techniques tactics and procedures (TTPs) using a variety of data science techniques such as data pipelining, data cleaning, machine learning, model validation & tuning, and database optimization. We are looking for a motivated junior data scientist to help us develop and deploy solutions at cloud scale as part of Trend’s next generation security portfolio.
As a Jr. Data Scientist you will …
- Conduct Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), including acquiring, engineering, and exploring various data types and log sources for detection opportunities (50%-60% of role)
- Develop rule-based (non-ML) detection algorithms in Python
- Determine appropriate places to implement rule-based, simple anomaly detection, or ML
- Work with the Detections Engineering Team to transform attacker TTPs into viable, low false-positive behavioral and signature detections using a variety of techniques including supervised, semi-supervised, and unsupervised machine learning; emphasis on sequential classification and pattern-matching
- Research, discover, and implement innovative classification algorithms in Python that result in strong F1 scores (F-measures) using supervised ML techniques; emphasis on feature engineering
- Set up testing environments and conduct EDA, data cleaning, and testing
- Optimize Python code for cloud execution
- Contribute to data pipeline functions including data cleaning, ML pre-processing, dimensionality reduction, database optimization (Graph, KV, Document, etc.), building connectors, and search
- Work with the Development teams to design and support our security products and platforms
As a Jr. Data Scientist you have …
- 2+ years of experience in the data science industry preferred
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Data Science, Analytics, Computer Science with Data Science concentration, Statistics, or a related science
- Strong EDA skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- Experience with applied data science techniques such as data cleaning, data pipelining, machine learning, and model validation
- Strong experience in Python, R, or Julia in a Linux environment
- Some experience with NoSQL databases and data engineering
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
Skills that would set you apart from other applicants …
- Experience in cybersecurity applications development or with cybersecurity in general
- Knowledge of IT and security logs, threat intelligence, or machine telemetry
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes, and Cloud PaaS (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Experience with Elasticsearch, ArangoDB, Redis, or similar
- Strong self-motivation, passion for problem solving with data, and ability to work independently
- Experience with multinomial classification, anomaly detection, deep learning, pattern-matching, or sequential classification
- Experience in Agile Development
- Strong Statistics background
A Great Place to Work @ Trend Micro Ottawa
The R&D teams at Trend comprised of highly effective small teams that take ownership for various areas of our product and services. The teams work hard innovating to make the best software imaginable. The atmosphere is relaxed, fun, and we strongly value work/life balance and continued learning … some things about us:
- Collaborative workspaces with unique and spacious lounge areas
- Flexible hours
- Regular Hack Days!
- Opportunities to pursue training, industry events and conferences
- Opportunities to attend Ottawa Events at the Canadian Tire Center Corporate Box
- Global company, global opportunities
- Frequent team activities, project celebrations, and knowledge sharing
- Foosball, ping pong, etc.
- Regular pizza lunches
- Free coffee and tea
- Cheap snacks and sodas
Trend Micro welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.